Monday, June 3, 2013

Preparation, Travel, and Days 1, 2, and 3 of Africa!



I officially signed up to come to Africa back in October after weeks and weeks of researching different programs. For years I’ve been interested in volunteering in Africa and I looked into it a few different times, but the cost of programs always kept me away. Not only is it like at least $2000 to volunteer, but then the cost of flights, visas, and vaccinations just amounted to too much. This year, I decided no matter what, it was important enough to me that even if I needed to spend all of my savings, I would go to Africa. Eventually I found and chose Medics to Africa, an organization that sets up volunteers in hospitals around Kenya, Tanzania and Uganda, and after much convincing of my dad, I signed up! In the end, my parents ended up funding my trip here, and I can’t even find the words to thank them. I feel so lucky to be so incredibly loved and supported.

Apart from actually signing up and researching, the trip required a lot more preparation than I’m used to. Over the past few months, we (and by we I mean primarily my dad) has been sending out for my visa, finding travel insurance, and arranging various doctor’s appointments. Packing in itself was a mess; I ended up bringing two suitcases plus a massive carry on. When Thursday finally rolled around, I figured I was more than prepared.

Getting to Africa was the longest process ever. We booked flights out of New York since it saved us close to $700, then I flew from  JFK to Paris, had a three hour layover, then flew from Paris to Nairobi. All in all, I was travelling for a total of 25 hours. I’ve never travelled so far in my life let alone by myself, so needless to say I was a hot mess before I boarded the plane. I was bawling for a good two hours before I boarded, but less because I was scared and more because I was really going to miss my family and I was so grateful to them for sending me on this amazing trip.

After the 25 hours and a few sleeping pills, I finally arrived here in Africa. After grabbing my bags and going through customs (which was the biggest joke of my life), I walked out to a massive crowd waiting to pick up family, friends, or people with their organization, so it took me a good 5 minutes to find the driver for Medics to Africa. Even though I wasn’t permanently staying in Nairobi, since I got in so late at night (8:30 Africa time), they provided a house for any volunteers that came in to stay overnight until we could make the drive in the morning. I expected to be one of the only ones in the house, but little did I know there were ELEVEN other people arriving the same day as myself! They all came together, so although at first it was way overwhelming to be the only one alone in our group, everyone was so welcoming and I quickly got adjusted.
The house in Nairobi was beautiful and huge, and I felt completely spoiled before roughing it here in Migori. The two women of the house, Judy and Stellah, were awesome cooks as well, so we had really great meals there at the house. It’s kind of nerve wracking to eat and drink here, because the water is potentially pretty contaminated, meaning any fruit or vegetables that have been washed as well we can’t eat. It’s not too bad since they always do have food that we can eat, it’s just very limited.

Another volunteer ended up coming on Saturday night as well, so instead of having our drivers make the long drive out to Migori twice in a row, we decided to wait until Sunday to leave and spent all of Saturday in Nairobi! The first part and easily most exciting part of our day was visiting the giraffe reserve, where we got to feed and kiss giraffes (yeah, this seriously exists). We sat through a little presentation and learned a ton about giraffes – who knew there was more than one type? And that their tongues act as antiseptics?? The rest of the day, we had a baby tour around Nairobi in our official group vans. We saw things like the President’s house, the city center and park, and Parliament buildings. The city here is so different from any city at home, and contrasts so much to what is going on here in Migori. We ended the day with our very first (and not homemade) Kenyan meal, which was pretty good! I just got chicken, but one girl on our trip got goat and found a clump of hair still stuck on the meat. Apparently a theme here, since today one of the guys found feathers still on his chicken. Needless to say, I’m starting to eat less and less and avoid the meat – one girl here calls it her Kenyan diet. Although it was a really informative day and we had a lot of fun, it was definitely the hardest day so far. I really missed family and the adjustment time was rough, but it’s definitely gotten better as I’ve gotten to know everyone here a little better. 


Eddy, the giraffe


 Feeding Eddy...

Kissin Eddy!


City of Nairobi!


First and very typical Kenyan meal... chicken, potatoes, and cabbage/veggie mix


Our second full day was our trip to Migori! Migori is a small town with a total of 35,000 people near the Tanzanian border and Lake Victoria. It was a total of an eight hour drive including three short stops; needless to say we were all pretty restless by the end of our drive. However the drive to Migori was incredible. Kenya is a beautiful country with so much richness to it, but it’s also so filled with poverty. Our last stop was at a market which was actually pretty modernized, however we all had to go to the bathroom and found out the toilet was not really a toilet… it was a hole in the ground. Not one of my finer or cleaner moments, but I figured if we can survive that the rest of this trip really can’t be too bad. We finally arrived in Migori at 7:00 last night and instead of moving right into the house like we expected, they put us in a hotel two minutes away from the hospital. The room is easily the smallest I’ve ever been in and it’s obviously not suited to international visitors. There is no sort of barrier from the bathroom to our bedroom and the shower has no curtain or any sort of barrier from the toilet or sink, which is all really bizarre. Conditions could definitely be worse but it’s obviously not the kind of hotel/accommodations I’m used to. The reason we can’t stay in the house is because besides the 13 of us that are here, there are 10 other people staying in the house through the program. They came over to hang out in the bar of our hotel last night so we got the chance to meet a few of them and hear about what the hospital was like! Almost all of them we met are from Canada. One thing I was surprised about in our group is that almost everyone has either graduated from a program or working on a med school degree; I’m the only undergrad and the baby of the group by far, but it really hasn’t made a difference in my time here. It’s actually pretty great to have some nurses and other healthcare people to learn from and ask questions of!

One of the stunning pictures of the Great Rift Valley

 Baboon friends on the side of the road

Finally, today we started on our real everyday routine here in Migori, waking up for breakfast at 7:30AM and making it to the hospital by 8AM.  We volunteer at Saint Joseph’s Mission Hospital, which is a pretty big hospital for such a small town and has a ton of departments including maternity, ICU, x-ray, eye clinic, dental clinic, and physical therapy. We started with orientation, but then I quickly found my way into the Pediatric Ward (of course). Most of the kids there are infected with either Malaria, Typhoid, or HIV, although most of the kids have been malaria so far. First, we spent the mornings doing rounds, where the doctor literally just goes from bed to bed to see every kid there. The ward is really different from any hospital floors in America because all of the beds are in one room with no barriers between them. It ends up being a really interesting environment, because many of the parents take part in doing care for their child, but then they also help out each other and it seems to become a really nice environment. I was just surprised how involved parents are since they end up doing a lot of things that nurses are usually responsible for like flushing an NG tube (feeding tube) or prepping their child when he seizes. I didn’t realize, but most of the ailments that kids present with are treatable, so many of the kids in the ward were very active and running around, which was nice to see.  The most intense kid they saw today they diagnosed with a coma, however he was responsive to a sternal rub and looked more like he was seizing than anything; it was the first time I saw a really sick kid which was kind of scary but also really interesting to observe. Rounds were cool but difficult to sit through because most of the time, the doctors, nurses, and patients only spoke Swahili… and obviously I don’t speak Swahili. They tried to explain some things to us, but a lot of things were also lost in translation.

Generally I was really impressed with the hospital’s advancement in terms of supplies and technology. They had computers in all outpatient wards and were able to send orders/information from department to department. On the other hand, I feel like the education is lacking more than anything. Such important things we learn in the US like hand washing or sterile technique I don’t think are taught as much here. Either way, the morning at peds was really interesting and I’m excited to spend the next few days there! None of the Migori residents are used to seeing white people around, so all of the moms and children think it’s hilarious whenever we speak or do basically anything. The kids call us “mizuku” which means white people, and will pinch their noses with their fingers when they see us because apparently that’s how we sound when we speak. Despite this they really aren’t mean to us, they’re so excited and playful whenever we interact. Everyone here is so friendly and welcoming!

This afternoon, we went into the town of Migori to do some shopping (mostly for water) and also just see what’s around. It’s amazing and completely what I’d expect of a town over here; lots of outdoor markets and sales and everyone is outside with their families and friends. Although the resources here are so poor, the quality of life of the villagers seems so simple but fulfilled. It’s really such a different environment, but I’m enjoying my time so far and looking forward to the next few weeks here! Check back for updates and thanks for reading! I promise they won’t be so long next time :)

No comments:

Post a Comment